Sunday 5 February 2017

(Lazy) Marmalade recipe

I have not seen Seville oranges in France, and every year I mean to look out for them in the UK and bring some back. This week I wasn't looking for them (I thought it was around Christmas time so I had missed them), but they had them right at the entrance of Waitrose in a nice box with the recipe on - so I finally have got round to buying them and making proper marmalade.
Last year I made orange jam (which is what I call it when made with normal oranges) using the mincer on the kitchen aid. So I tried this with the Seville oranges as it was pretty easy and I like the texture it made without too big bits of pith in it. It worked well, was a bit more effort than with the seedless oranges I did it with before, Seville oranges always have loads of seeds. I boil them up and then add the water to the oranges to help the set.
The ingredients and method (apart from how you cut up the peel) are the same as if you want to cut the oranges in to pieces.

1kg Seville Oranges
1 lemon
2 kg sugar

Cut the oranges and the lemon in to eighths and pull the seeds out of each piece. Put the seeds in to a small pan and be careful to catch the orange juice that comes out as you do this (not in the seed pan as this is going to get boiled more than you want the juice to)
Put the seeds on to boil with enough water to well cover them
Mince the orange and lemon through whatever size mincer you think best. Mine is probably 0.6cm.
Put the resulting mush in to a pan and add about 500ml of water - you need enough that the mush is slightly liquid so when you boil it it can move around but really as little as possible as you are going to have to boil it off mainly.
Add the water from the seeds (through a sieve or something)
Heat for about 30 mins. You have to watch to make sure it doesn't stick as the mix is a bit dry, it should get more liquid as you heat it.
Add the sugar and bring to the boil
Boil until you reach a set. This is probably 30 mins or more
Put in to jars you sterilised in the dishwasher (or boiled or whatever you prefer)


No comments:

Post a Comment