Saturday 25 March 2017

Fruit trees and pruning

We planted a number of trees probably 3 years ago. We have been very bad since then and neglected to prune them. I finally got round to it and it wasn't very easy. Partially because they had grown all wrong and more because I have no idea what I am doing - beyond a bit of advice from the internet.

Partially what prompted me in to it was that the Brambley got blown over ages ago in a wind storm and I finally got round to inspecting it to see if it was still alive. It was!

It is now upright again and has had a rather drastic pruning to make up for the several years without. Kill or cure I suppose.


This is a cherry tree which has also got a bit out of control but seems quite happy for it. I gave it a bit less of a drastic trim

The protection we put round them to save them from the sheep hasn't turned out very well really. They get bracken and long grass inside which I think creates too damp and atmosphere round the trunk and on this tree (Red Falstaff I think) it has rotted through the trunk

You can see once I removed the protection that there is a bit of trunk left. Perhaps it can recover, I am hoping one of the little branches might start to grow up the way and take over from the original trunk. Unlikely perhaps...

I had some difficulty understanding how I should prune the trees and have ended up doing some with three branches at the same height as they seemed to have grown like that. Hopefully they can grow in to a goblet (vase?) shape. A couple I did central leader kind of anyway. It was a bit difficult having let them get so out of control. I tend to get panicked and prune too much.
Interestingly (kind of) I just read that Brambley's need pruning in a different way to lots of other apple trees because they bear fruit on the tips of branches. Must remember that!

No comments:

Post a Comment